out of the woods

As of yesterday morning, Australia had 5,800 confirmed cases of COVI-19, and 41 deaths. Our rate of new daily cases has been decreasing for several days in a row.

But we're told not to get excited just yet. In fact, yesterday I read an article saying we could be doing this 'social distancing' stuff for 18-24 months!

It's been a week or so since my last update, mostly because things haven't changed that much. As far as my day-to-day life goes, the past 10 days haven't seen major changes (except a co-worker has started giving me a lift which is great!).

It's small things you notice now. At the post office, or grocery store, or cafe, there are markers on the floor indicating where you should stand (1.5m away from anyone else).


Plexiglass has gone up at cash registers in pharmacies and supermarkets. There's a 2 item limit on the strangest stuff at the shop - chicken, tinned tomatoes, rice, pasta. I laughed with the Woollies clerk yesterday that Australians must not know how to cook anything besides spaghetti bolognese.

This is our last week of school term before the holidays, although they brought that forward a week for the students so this week is just staff 'professional development.' Today is 3 separate meetings which I predict will be about how we are going to change the world with our 'authentic online learning.'

With gyms and pubs and restaurants closed, we're mostly hanging out at home on the weekend. Doing puzzles.

Smoking meat. Eating lots of cheese and drinking lots of wine. Things could be worse I guess!

I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with 2 weeks off work and nowhere to go and no people to see. Yoga every day and hopefully walks if the weather is nice. Podcast recommendations welcome!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the moment I wake up

An American in Melbourne

adventures in real estate